Brian Tubbs is a Christian husband, father, writer, pastor, former history teacher, and former non-profit professional living in the Washington, DC area.
With this blog, Brian provides commentary, encouragement, book reviews, and practical advice for people of faith as they navigate the world around them and make choices related to entertainment, money, relationships, and social issues. While this blog is written primarily for a faith-oriented audience, those who do not share the author’s faith are more than welcome here and may find much of the content worthwhile.
Brian is an avid reader of books on religion, personal development, and history as well as novels in the historical fiction, fantasy, and science fiction genres. He regularly reviews books in these genres for this blog. Some of the books reviewed are written by Christians, while others are not. He is also working on a couple fiction projects — both of which are planned for release in late 2017.
Over the years, Brian has written on numerous topics, including history, politics, personal development, and religion. He is the longtime editor of his own American Revolution & Founding Era blog and a contributor to the popular American Creation blog. His former blog (PastorTubbs.com) was known and appreciated for its Christian apologetics and theology content. His articles have been featured in several publications, including The Washington Times and Insight on The News. And he’s recently been invited to write for Geeks Under Grace.
He currently serves as Senior Pastor of Olney Baptist Church in Montgomery County, Maryland and on the General Missions Board for the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware (BCMD). He is also on the Board of Directors for Salvation Streams, an international Christian charity.
His professional career encompasses a broad range of experience in ministry, education, leadership, management, writing, public speaking, and public relations. He has pastored two churches (one in Ohio and now in Maryland), served as administrator for a small private school (Wilmington, Ohio), taught high school in another private school (Fairfax, VA), and worked for several non-profit organizations (Washington, DC metro area) in various capacities. His past volunteer experience includes service on the Loudoun County (Virginia) Disability Services Board and the Fairfax County (Virginia) Tree Commission, leadership in the Greater Herndon (Virginia) Jaycees, and time as a political activist (even running for the Herndon, Virginia town council in his 20s!).
Brian holds a B.A. in Government and Politics from George Mason University, an M.A. in Theological Studies from Liberty University, and a Certificate in Christian Apologetics from Biola University.
He has been married to his wife Jane for 25 years, and they are blessed with two teenage children.
- “A wise man will hear and increase learning, and a man of understanding will attain wise counsel.” -King Solomon (Proverbs 1:5)
- “Truth is not the fruit of one’s imagination.” -Pope John Paul II
- “Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
Favorite Books on Religion & Spirituality
- The Bible (of course)
- The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism by Timothy Keller
- The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
- The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
Favorite Biography & History Books:
- Lincoln by David Herbert Donald
- John Adams by David McCullough
- 1776 by David McCullough
- America: Imagine The World Without Her by Dinesh D’Souza
- Vindicating the Founders: Race, Sex, Class and Justice in the Origins of America by Thomas G. West
- Killing Lincoln by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
- Killing The Rising Sun by Bill O’Reilly & Martin Dugard
Favorite Personal Development / Self-Help / Success Books:
- The Book of Proverbs from the Bible
- The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- The Success Principles: How to Get From Where You Are to Where You Want to be by Jack Canfield
- Lincoln on Leadership by Donald T. Phillips
- Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Goals! How to Get Everything You Want – Faster Than You Ever Thought Possible by Brian Tracy
- The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara
- The Lost Regiment series by William R. Forstchen
- Gone For Soldiers by Jeff Shaara
- Rora by James Byron Huggins
- Ranger’s Apprentice series by John Flanagan
- Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson
- Gettysburg: A Novel of the Civil War (and its sequels) by Newt Gingrich and William R. Forstchen
- Cain by James Byron Huggins
- This Present Darkness and Piercing The Darkness by Frank Peretti
- Visitation by Frank Peretti
- Star Wars trilogy (the originals – Episodes 4, 5, and 6)
- Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
- The Lord of the Rings trilogy
- The Hobbit trilogy
- Apollo 13
- Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones & the Last Crusade
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
- Ben Hur (the original)
- Captain America movies (all of them!)
- The Avengers movies
- The Princess Bride
- The Longest Day
- Sergeant York
Favorite TV Shows
- Star Trek
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Stargate: SG-1
- Stargate: Atlantis
- Burn Notice
- Magnum, P.I.
- Simon & Simon
- Matt Houston
- Family Ties
- Get Smart!
Favorite Board/Card Games
Favorite PC/Video Games
- Age of Empires II
- Civilization II, III, and IV
- Warcraft II
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Galaxies (pre-NGE)
- Star Wars: Battlefront
- The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
- Dragon Age: Origins
- Mass Effect 1 and 2
- Madden NFL franchise
Most Respected American Heroes
- George Washington
- Benjamin Franklin
- Abraham Lincoln
- Ronald Reagan
- Billy Graham
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Seafood (Alaskan crab legs, Broiled scallops, Shrimp Scampi, Broiled Shrimp, etc)
- Teriyaki-flavored Buffalo Wings
- Dairy Queen Peanut Butter Cup Blizzards
- Key Lime Pie
**The items in the preceding lists are in no particular order.